Setting Static IP on ZADSR16 ProXR

We recently purchased a ZADSR16 10A ProXR Relay, and are trying to set it to have a static IP.

According to https://ncd.io/ncd-gen3-ethernet-module-user-guide/ we should attach a jumper to the 2 pins on the left of the ethernet port, still on the ethernet module and power on.

From there I’ve used the NCD config tool and it give a 169.254.X.X address which I believe is the device, the Apply Settings and Reset options can be used. I set it to permanently have the IP of 192.168.1.88 and removed power from the board, removed the jumper, and turned it back on.

I’ve tried using a webpage at 192.168.1.88 and get a can’t reach this page, as well as the NCD Base Software on the Network setting. Neither seems to be able to get info from the board.

I’ve also reset the board and did all these steps over again. Am I missing something in configuring this?

Hi Dan,

Can you confirm that the IP address of 192.168.1.88 that you assigned to the device is on the same network as your PC?

I’m hoping for it to be setup as a local network - I have the board connected via an usb-ethernet adaptor and an ethernet cable to the computer so it should be on the same local network.
I’ve been able to connect to other similar devices in this manner.

Hi Dan,

If the PC this is connected to has another WiFi or Ethernet network connected to it that has internet your OS is probably defaulting to trying to use the internet enabled network. This means IP communication requests will try to go through this network.

Unfortunately we don’t have any experience using a USB to Ethernet adapter for direct connection to these boards. You can try again, but disable all other network adapters on the PC to see if this enables communications.

I disconnect from all other networks, reset the board (held the button to right of ethernet port for 5 seconds) and tried to do above - got the same results.
For the adaptor - I’m able to get both lights on the ethernet port on both sides and able to get this info through the config tool, so I’m thinking they are able to communicate to some extent.

Is this something the we are likely doing wrong or should we be looking at a return to get another relay and/or ethernet adaptor?

hi,
if you want to set the static ip then you dont need to install the jumper. use the config utility and enter your ip settings.
after that click apply settings.

Using the Config tool without the jumper leads to the same result. Cannot open IP in webpage and NCB Base gives a “Device Identification Failed”

reflash the firmware. use the ncd config utility from the link

If the config tool sees it then you should be able to access it. It is difficult to say what is causing the issue because there are also configurations on your network adapter. One thing I’m seeing is that your network adapter’s ip address is on 169.254.177.94 and the Ethernet module’s IP address is 192.168.1.88 which puts them into different subnets. You can try putting the ethernet module into the same subnet as your adapter: 169.254.177.x with a gateway of 169.254.177.1

This may resolve the issue.

I am reading this thread and would like to confirm that at this time it is or it is not recommended to use the device web interface to set a static IP. For years we have located the DHCP assignment of the device then used the web UI to log in with browser and set Static IP. We uncheck the Use DHCP box then enter the new values and then choose ‘Save Settings’ button followed by reset. Is it now advisable to exclusively use the NCD5500_ConfigTool to locate an modify the unit settings on the current version of devices? Below are some screen shots of the unit I am using.

There should be no issue using the web interface to set the static IP address. The configuration tool just makes it easier and faster in general to find and configure your modules across a broader range of network settings.

Jacob, any reason you can think of that sometimes after changing and resetting it is still set to DHCP? I assume with all generations of the ethernet module this functionality has not changed. I also assume firmware version 1.2 is current or at least a good working version. Refer to my screenshot.

Thanks

Hi Pete,

Version 1.2 had a bug in the web interface. The newest firmware for the Revision 2 hardware that you have is 2.1.

You can find the 2.1 firmware at: ncd_Ethernet/ncd.io NCD5500 V2.bin at main · ncd-io/ncd_Ethernet · GitHub

and upload it using the config tool: ncd_Ethernet/NCD ConfigTool V2.exe at main · ncd-io/ncd_Ethernet · GitHub

Do you know when these modules were ordered as this firmware should have been updated on all order within the last few months.

Ok, updating the firmware fixed my problem with the web interface. I am testing with one of the Development modules but we have a number of these in stock. We will have to assess the impact.

If we confine ourselves to using the Config Tool and not the Web Interface is there anything else the firmware update addresses that we need to have? I want to understand the value of the update besides fixing the Web UI.

Pete

The other primary issues with firmware versions before 2.1 are:

• The module may have issues negotiating a DHCP address on some networks due to a timing issue on the protocol requests. Primarily this is an issue on more complicated networks that use DHCP proxy services
  • The web interface to control the relays does not function properly

Hi Jacob, I want to get some clarity on something. After this experience updating my firmware I connected with one of our customers.

After I updated my firmware it reports this:

While working with our customer today his unit reports:

It does not have V2 in the name and its firmare is already greater than v2.1.

When we point the browser to the customer’s unit we get this:

My unit reports all of the relevant information about itself. I’d upload an image but the system limits me to 3.

BTW, I noticed my customer’s unit reports the temperature properly while mine does not. We are not using that for anything its just an observation.

Can you clarify the different generations of modules and they are reported and how we determine the most current firmware version that should be used?

Thanks

Hi Pete,

Hardware Revision 1:

• Device Type: NCDWEBI
  • Latest Firmware: 2.4

Hardware Revision 2:

• Device Type: NCDWEBIV2
  • Latest Firmware: 2.2

Generally the best way to know if there’s a firmware update is to check: GitHub - ncd-io/ncd_Ethernet

I will try and update this github repo to outline revision and changelogs a bit better when the next round of firmware passes final testing.

I forgot to mention that firmware version 2.2 is undergoing final testing so it hasn’t actually released yet.

Thanks Jacob. The documentation suggests there is also a GEN3 module in production. Does this report itself as NCDWEBIV3?

Did newer firmware change the appearance of the UI through web browser? We used to see this:

This was the Lantronix module what generation is that considered?

Thanks