Node-Red failing to connect

I don’t suppose the labview utility is still open to the modem. If anything is consuming that Serial port then nothing else can access it.

Try closing anything that might connect to the serial port, unplug the modem, plug it back in. See if XCTU can connect to it at this point.

Also can you post the config information for your Modem Node and the Serial Port Node?

I don’t know why, but it randomly started working. I walked away from the laptop for a while and it went to sleep, once I opened Node-Red back up it was connected to the gateway, and XCTU is able to connect to it now.

Hopefully it won’t break again.

Thanks for the quick reply though!

We are using a Mega Modem via USB connected to Node-Red on an Ubuntu server. Also connected to a different USB port is a USB to I2C converter for a relay board and a wired temperature sensor.

The USB to I2C converter has been reasonably reliable. Unfortunately, our recently acquired Mega Modem isn’t as cooperative. It was working just fine the first time it was plugged in. After a power outage, however, the NCD Gateway Node no longer connects to the modem. The Node-Red terminal shows the following text:

{
error: ‘Request timed out without response’,
original: [ 8, 1, 73, 68 ]
}
{
original: [ 8, 2, 73, 68 ]
}

Restarting Node-Red, the modem, or even resetting the modem has yet to bring success. Anyone have further suggestions or questions regarding this issue?

What is the LED on the Mega Modem doing? Is it flashing Green? If you enter go to the terminal on the Ubuntu server and enter ls /dev/cu.SLAB* does anything come up?

Yes, the LED is flashing green.

There is nothing in the dev directory matching “cu.*”. The computer does see the device and lists it under “/dev/ttyUSB1”. The baud rate is set to 115200 in Node-Red and hasn’t been altered on the modem. TCP/IP has been disabled on the modem.

Since it’s a Mega Modem, I’ve connected it via WiFi for now. There were a few hiccups, but it seems to be working for the moment. When (or if) we redo the software, we’ll give the serial interface a revisit.

Sounds good. Please let us know if we can help with anything in the future.

After a reboot of Node-Red the other day, the Mega Modem is no longing connecting to the Wireless Gateway Node. After a restart and reset of the modem and several restarts of Node-Red, nothing has changed. The modem can be pinged, and port 2101 is open. The LED is a solid green. Node-Red logs show the following (though sometimes with fewer tries).

{
original: [ 8, 1, 73, 68 ]
}
{
original: [ 8, 2, 73, 68 ]
}
{
original: [ 8, 3, 73, 68 ]
}
{
original: [ 8, 4, 73, 68 ]
}
{
original: [ 8, 5, 73, 68 ]
}
{
original: [ 8, 6, 73, 68 ]
}

I gave the Alpha Station software a go, and it auto-detects the modem just fine. When trying to view the sensors, however, it responds with “Unable to Communicate with Modem.”

I found a thread here talking about doing a factory reset on the Digimesh radio. Is that a recommended course of action? Any other suggestions?

You can try re-flashing the digi radio but i doubt its necessary.

@TravisE_NCD_Technica any idea what might be going on here

The WiFi Modem only accepts 1 TCP socket connection at a time. Try stopping the Node-Red service, then run Alpha Station and see if you can get telemetry messages from the sensors.

@TravisE_NCD_Technica Yep. That worked. Alpha Station was able to receive data from the sensor.

Somewhere among the deleting, redeploying, and re-adding of the ncd-gateway-config nodes, it started working. I’ll try to follow up if the issue happens again.

Great. Keep us updated.

Hi Travis, I am having the same issue using the Gateway USB-Serial Modem. I can connect via terminal and XCTU, but node-red is failing to connect.

Hi,

Can you check that neither XCTU or the terminal is currently connected to the serial port?

Additionally can you send a screenshot of the version of the NCD library you’re using? You should be to find it in Node-Red’s Palette Manager. The palette manager can be found through the Menu in the top right (three horizontal lines) > Manage palette > Nodes

Hi Jacob,

I was able to solve it reading another thread. I re-flashed with:

900mhz_modem_module_recover.xpro and that seemed to fix it.

Thanks!

M

oh wait it broke again. Keeps failing to connect.

serial port is reconnecting
Error: Port is opening
at SerialPort.open (C:\Users\mratterm.node-red\node_modules@serialport\stream\lib\index.js:225:29)
at NcdSerial.setupSerial (C:\Users\mratterm.node-red\node_modules\ncd-red-comm\lib\NcdSerial.js:38:16)
at Timeout._onTimeout (C:\Users\mratterm.node-red\node_modules\ncd-red-comm\lib\NcdSerial.js:29:9)
at listOnTimeout (node:internal/timers:573:17)
at process.processTimers (node:internal/timers:514:7)
serial port is reconnecting

Also the USB LED on the Gateway is Solid Red

That error indicates that the Serial port cannot talk to the 900MHz Module.

How is the modem being powered and does it share this power supply with anything else?

Try disconnecting the barrel connector power supply, remove the USB from the modem, reinsert the USB, and restart node-red to see if that resolves the issue. Basically we want to power the board just off of USB, power cycle the board, and see if this remains an issue.

Try a different USB port on your computer.

There is an update to ncd-red-wireless-2 that increases node-reds ability to re-establish these communications on it’s own in 2.1.40. Can you update using these commands from a command line:
cd ~/.node-red
npm install ncd-red-wireless-2

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your help… I tried that and also reinstalled node-red on a different laptop and I still cant connect to it via node-red.

XCTU connects and I can see data over serial, but not through node-red.

Hi,

I sent you an email. I think we’ll have to have an online meeting so I can see the issues.