Zpot8xr linux python

Hi
Im trying to control ethernet potentiometer from ubuntu using TCP socket in Python3.

Trying to send basic command named “Read the Startup Value for a Specific Potentiometer” from this doc:

As I undestand, to get startup value of potenciometer, I need to send three bytes to socket:
hex: 0xFE, 0xAD, 0x01

my Python program is as follows:

import socket
from time import sleep
s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
s.settimeout(0.5)
s.connect(('192.168.1.207', 3000))
s.send(bytes([254, 173, 1]))
sleep(0.5)
s.recv(256)

And it just timeouts - meaning no data from device received back.

I made network setup before (to set static IP=192.168.1.207 and specific port=3000)
And I can see the port via nmap:

Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.207
Host is up (0.00040s latency).
Not shown: 996 closed ports
PORT      STATE SERVICE
80/tcp    open  http
3000/tcp  open  ppp
8080/tcp  open  http-proxy
30000/tcp open  ndmps

Seems like the protocol I’m using is not correct

Help me please, what am I doing wrong?

This is the product Im trying to interface with.

Hi,

It looks like your command is correct. Do you have a Windows Machine available to try controlling it using Base Station? You can find Base Station at Start - NCD.io

1 Like

Just tryed to use Base Station (windows emulation in parallels for Mac) and failed with “Device Identification Failed”

Maybe something with internal firmware?

also this looks suspicious for me

after downloading this FW

(named latest)

web view picture changed to this:

But python program still timeouts

UPD: Sorry for some reasons screenshot is bad. But there was two fields filled: Uptime and Temprature

Hi,

Can you change the port number back to 2101 on the Ethernet module and try Base Station again? Barring that you can manually enter the connection information as in the attached image:
Capture

1 Like

Local port set to 2101
Base software still cannot reach device

Also interesting thing is that network advertising works - I mean in section “Discovered Network Devices” there is an instance of device

nmap for 2101 port

Hi,

Can you try a factory reset using the NCD Configuration utility: https://github.com/ncd-io/ncd_Ethernet/raw/main/NCD%20Config%20Tool/NCD%20ConfigTool%20V2.exe

Once the factory reset is done try Base Station again.

The configuration through the web interface is very hit and miss when not used from a Windows computer.

1 Like

Hi there

Today I managed to make this work.
I still have one question:
Is there a known sure-to-work sequence of actions to set device IP address via web-interface 80 port?

The sequence I followed (maybe useful for descendants)

1. Factory Reset
    1.1. Button from right to ETH - press for 5 sec
    1.2. Jumper for two pins from left to ETH
    1.3. PWR Reset
  2. Change IP
    2.1. try ping 192.168.1.88, discover ports 2101, 80, 8080
    2.2. take Windows laptop - for NCD Config Tool
    2.3. This utility should automatically load all device settings (factory ones actually) and show you
    2.4. Change ONLY IP-address
    2.5. Push Apply Settings button
    2.6. now device should work with new IP addr (for example 192.168.1.207)
  3. Make sure all worked
    3.1. PWR reset
    3.2. try ping new IP 192.168.1.207
    3.3. choose any command from datasheet (named Potentiometer Quick Start Guide, see earlier on this thread) and try to send it with Python script (see earlier on this thread) to port 2101 (default one). Device should not timeout and break pipe. Device should anwser something (according to datasheet)

Oh and great thanks for fast anwsers and guiding to @jacob !

Hi,

I have some pending changes to the web pages that will improve reliability of configuration through the web interface, but its a very odd problem that it only seems to fail through OS’ with linux kernel as opposed to a unix kernel. It shouldn’t make a difference, but somehow it does. The web page will still need to be uploaded through the configuration tool.

Do you know what firmware your Ethernet module came with?

Hi
Actually I dont know which fw was in module :frowning:
but now it’s flashed with latest (from Githib repo)