Which temperature sensor for room monitoring

I need to monitor temperature and humidity in several rooms see there are at least two available sensors that could do that, the PR52-33A and PR49-24A. From the looks of it, the PR52 has an external probe that is taking the readings while I assume the PR49 has an internal sensor within the case that is taking the temperature and humidity readings.

Is the PR49 more suited to general temperature/humidity environmental monitoring such as placing in a room (the scenario I am in)? If the sensor is within the case, is there a significant lag to changes in temperature and humidity or is it fairly responsive? It will not be in a room undergoing rapid temp changes, just changes as outdoor weather changes and AC/Heat turns on.

I also see that the PR49 has a cut out on the case labeled XR. What is that for?

The 49 series sensors in the black boxes are no longer recommended for new designs. So the PR52-33A is the sensor we recommend for applications where temperature/humidity monitoring is required. It is more accurate and better designed.

If you have WiFi available at the sensor mounting locations you may also be interested in this device:

It does not require a gateway device as it can publish readings directly to an MQTT Broker.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
Travis Elliott

Thanks for the info Travis. I found that you all have the PR55-45L as well which has a few more data points in addition to the humidity and temperature readings. Besides the cost difference, is there much performance difference between the PR55-45L and the PR52-33A?

I know the PR52-33A is supported within the node-red library as I have already used it there. Is the PR55-45L supported as well?

If you are looking for the highest accuracy I would recommend PR52-33A. Its temperature accuracy is +/- 0.2ºC and RH accuracy is +/- 2%. The PR55-45L temperature accuracy is +/- 1ºC and RH accuracy is +/- 3%.

PR55-45L also has a built in heater required for accurate air quality measurements. This built in heater will also skew temperature measurements a bit which makes temperature reading less accurate as well.

I assume with the heater there would also be decreased battery life as well?

We have not seen a significant decrease in total number of transmissions on fully charged batteries between these devices.