Using ESP8266 with MicroPyhon

Can the ESP8266 modules that you have be programmed with MicroPython?

Do the modules have 512k or 1 meg of ram?

I am wanting to use them to connect sensors to Home Assistant using MQTT. MicroPython supports MQTT so all that I would need to add is the code to read the I2C bus.

Thanks, Chuck

@Bhaskar or @Trey can you comment the the size of flash memory on the ESP8266 modules we offer? I assume this is the module we are discussing correct @carbuthn ?

I think that it is 4 MBs, I got MicroPython flashed to it which gave me the MAC and indicated 4 MB.

I needed the flash to determine which firmware to load.

I am trying to come up with some python code that will allow me to use a MQTT client to send out data from any of the NCD modules / sensors. It would also be good if I can get it to receive MQTT and control relays etc.

I just got all of my ControlEvertything modules back. They got left in Memphis when I returned to Florida. Since returning I have been playing with Home Assistant (mainly HASSIO) which supports MQTT sensors and components.

Getting this to work correctly could open up the home automation field to a lot of your products.

Thanks and if you know of anyone that has some code already in use that would help.
Chuck

Chuck,
Long time!!!
I used Losant to read sensors and its real easy to use and setup. Give it a try when you get a chance.

Thanks

@Bhaskar I did look at Losant, but was looking to use python for the code to interface with the I2C modules.

I am also looking at Node-Red of the Raspberry Pi’s, appears to be very easy to use with very little coding to be done. It will send MQTT to Home Assistant. The Raspberry Pi Zero W costs just a little more than the ESP8266 and is much more powerful with the added GPIO and camera support. Plus the new Raspian includes Node-Red.

If you haven’t tried Node-Red you should, maybe even get nodes setup to access the I2C bus to eliminate the need to write code.

I hope to be a little more active in the future, seeing I am out of work for the time being.

1 Like

I helped a customer setup Node Red on a Pi not that long ago. It was my first experience with it but it was super easy to use. I definitely liked it a lot. What it comes down to is hours in the day to dive into stuff like that. I’d love to do it we just have so many irons in the fire it’s hard to tackle everything.

If you work with Node Red more and get something interesting put together please do share on here with our community. As always we are very willing to reward intelligent and forward thinking users of our products such as yourself :wink: