Password in NODE-RED with IoT Edge Computer

Hello everyone, hoping that you are all very well, I would like to know if any of you have set a login key in Node-Red with the IoT Edge Computer.

Greetings and thanks.

Hi,

Yes, this is absolutely possible. Node-Red has documentation on how to do that here:
https://nodered.org/docs/user-guide/runtime/securing-node-red
See section Admin & Editor API Security. There is a settings file on the IoT Edge computer you can open and edit, you just uncomment out the lines they specify there and put in username and passwords for the admin and users.

To do this on the IoT Edge Computer open the web interface to the IoT Edge Computer, Click on Terminal at the top. Login with username root and password ncdio. Once you have the terminal open enter command:

vi /root/.node-red/settings.js

That will open the file they are referencing. To edit the file press the i key on your keyboard, make your changes as needed, then press the esc key, then type :wq then press enter.

Let me know if you have any questions on this.

Thank you,
Travis Elliott

Hi Travis !!, Thanks for the reply!

I entered the setting.js file through the instructions you gave me, I was able to uncomment the password and user part, but when I wanted to enter a password myself and then enter them in node-red it throws me “Login failed”

To create the password in bcrypt format I am using this website “BCrypt hash of $Accurirt | Password Hashing”

If you could guide me in what I am doing wrong, I would appreciate it.

Greetings and thanks.

Hi,

Honestly that is a little outside our technical support purview. I would recommend possibly asking this question on Node-Red’s forum.

I understand, but then how can I put a password in that part, since I have followed the node-red manuals but I am not getting it to work, it keeps saying “Login failed” or how you do it or have you done it to have an idea .

Thanks in advance.

I have not attempted this yet. You are the first user to request this. I will try to take a look at it this week to see what must be done to enable password protection of the Node-Red web interface.

Unless you are referring the the Onion web interface. Do not worry about that. Just follow the steps in section 6. You do not need to access the web interface, it is done over USB.

@TravisE_NCD_Technica you might want to have a look at this. We tried quite some things :wink:

1 Like