New ethernet relays, need help setting them up

I’ve got the NCD Base software, and can connect to the web interface of each device. I would like to use one devices input to trigger a relay on the other, field wiring is done and tested.

When I run NCD Base, there’s communications errors when opening device information, etc.

I don’t make much progress on the quick start guide, on page 4 of the guide:

“5. You will be confronted with a simple control panel that allows you to identify the device
you are using, configure the device, and use all command sets that are available.”

I don’t have a list of supported commands. If I click on the “Show All” obviously I see the complete list, but they all give errors.

Hi Robb,

I think this is the guide you are looking for:

1 Like

I went through the guide and configured it as per the examples. My IT has given me reservations on the DHCP leases, so I did not enable static IPs, though I could use them if needed. I will know if it works in about 45 minutes when the lunch buzzer goes off.

On the input side, I am using the N.O. contacts on a relay to close the contacts on the MirC board, this is correct? It just needs to see the contacts closed to signal the remote output?

On the output relay, I have wired 120V though the N.O. relay contacts on that board to a relay, which in turn energizes my buzzer.

Hi Robb,

You can feed the NO or NC of the relay into the input depending on what state you want the remote relay to activate on. As long is a dry contact is fed into the input it doesn’t matter its source. You can test using a short wire if you wanted.

On the output side it is unusual for an external relay to be powered by a 120V power source, but not unheard of. Most of the time relays are driven by 12, 24, or 48VDC, but they come in many different types. To isolate if its an issue with switching the external relay you can check if you hear clicking when the contact is closed on the input side and the R1 LED is lit up. You can also disconnect the everything from the output and check for continuity between the NO and Common on the relay when the contact is closed on the input if you can’t have someone listen for a click while you manipulate the input

I used 120V because there isn’t much room for an additional power supply to make 12/24/48 V DC. Unfortunately the input module is triggered when the shift buzzer goes off, which makes listening for the clicking impossible. I can toggle the buzzer manually, and that does switch the relay which in turn closes the input on the ethernet relay module, so I’m fairly confident that the input is being triggered. On the output module, I have verified the wiring through the N.O. contacts on the module and that circuit does work, except the module is not closing it’s relay.

I went through the steps posted by TravisE, but still nothing triggering on the output. When I try to toggle the output on the web interface, I get no response (the ON OFF status doesn’t change).

Hi Robb,

This series is not designed to be used with the web interface.

So when the contact is closed on the input of the transmitter is the R1 LED on the receiver turned on? Is there continuity between the common and Normally Open on the relay of the receiver unit? If there is then the relay is activated and working as intedended. If no contact is on the input of the transmitter the relay on the receiver should then have continuity on the common and Normally Closed terminals of the relay.

Relays are working correctly, buzzer device was not loud enough to be heard over the lunchroom noise. Increased buzzer volume, OK now!