NCD5500 MAC Address & Firmware Version not reported

We haven an NCD 5500 that doesn’t seem to be sending us it’s mac address in the payload when doing a push notification. We’ve updated it to the v1.7. Is there a newer version we should be using?

Currently the mac address field seems to just be all 0x0F. Also the firmware version is just 1.0 (not 1.7) I’ve attached a snapshot of the object captured in Node-Red.

Hi,

Could you please share your Node-Red Flow?

The NCD flow is just a UDP node to receive the payload on port 5000, and then a function node to parse the data. The screenshot attached shows the payload that came in from the UDP node. Bytes 4 - 9 are just 0x0F.

Hi Travis,

Any thoughts on this? is this something that is expected, or a bug? (Payload not containing valid MAC address & firmware version).

Is this something that’s supposed to be manually set?

@TravisE_NCD_Technica not sure if you saw this

Can you please share your Node-Red Flow? I need to see exactly what is going on.

NCD5500 not reporting MAC address & Firmware.txt (3.5 KB)

Here you go @TravisE_NCD_Technica

Sorry, I was confused as to which product you were using. It’s clear now you have an Ethernet push notification device with the NCD5500 Ethernet module. We have many products called push notification so it can be confusing.

We have not sold these devices in a long time so I never noticed that the NCD5500 module does not have the firmware in it that would append the MAC address into the message packet. This was custom firmware we use to run in the Lantronix XPORT modules if memory serves me correctly.

Try adding a UDP node listening on port 13000. There you should get a string message that contains the MAC address of the module. Once you know the MAC of the device from this packet, as well as it’s IP address, you can use global context variables in Node Red to obtain the device’s MAC address using it’s IP address received on the other node. I know it is not ideal but it is a work around which should work just the same.

So would this get fixed in a future version? or is the “work around” the solution going forward?

Hi,

There is no space on this module to run the required custom script so we will not be able to implement this. Moving forward obtaining the MAC from the port 13000 broadcast is the best solution I can think of at the moment. It’s really too bad that UDP node does not put the MAC address in the message object like it does the IP address. The MAC address is available on the socket info so it would be possible to implement in the Node itself.