MQTT Gateway Corporate Network Connection

Hello - I am attempting to connect a MQTT Gateway (PR55-21 MQTT) to our corporate network to communicate with a MQTT server. However, our corporate network requires authentication with both username and password credentials. It doesn’t appear that the webUI supports that type of authentication - is there another approach?

Thanks!
Tim

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately the MQTT Gateway does not support that type of authentication. Do you have another network it could be connected to? This is the first request we have had for this thus far. What type of authentication/encryption does the WiFi network require?

Hi Travis -

Unfortunately we do not have another network available. Our corporate network is configured accordingly:

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,

I just added provisional support for WPA2 Enterprise to the MQTT Gateway firmware. You will need to update the firmware on your MQTT Gateway by following these instructions:

I do not have a network router that supports this security type so please test and let me know if it works or not. Enter your SSID and Password in the web UI as you did before and then make sure to enter your WPA2 Enterprise Username, you can also enter a WPA2 Enterprise Identity as well if you wish but it is not required.

Let me know if it works.

Hi Travis -

Thanks for the quick response and firmware update! I flashed the device with the updated firmware and noted the new network settings on the config page. I save the configuration and the status LED is now solid green so I believe the gateway is connected to the network. Also, the sensor appears to be connected to the gateway. However (and this may be something else related to my configuration settings), I am not observing the sensor topics flowing to MQTT. Should I assume my connection info in incorrect? Is there are way to troubleshoot this?

Admittedly, I am not terribly familiar with MQTT protocol :slight_smile:
Tim

Hi Tim,

A Green LED indicates that the Gateway is successfully connected to the MQTT Broker so that’s good news.

If you are not familiar with MQTT then I would highly recommend downloading and installing MQTTFX from mqttfx.org It’s a great software client you can use to test MQTT. Enter the same settings into it you entered into the Gateway and see if you are able to publish messages.

If you are still having trouble try sending some screen shots of what you have entered for Message Settings on the Gateway(this determines what topics the gateway publishes sensor readings to).

Thank you Tim,
Travis Elliott

Hey Travis -

I’m connected to my mosquitto instance using MQTTFX along with MQTT Explorer but am not seeing the sensor topics come through. I left the default Message Settings:

Thanks again!
Tim

Hi Tim,

On MQTTFX subscribe to topic gateway/# That should allow you to see any publishes to topics that begin with gateway/ I have an article on connecting the MQTT Gateway to Mosquitto here which might be useful for you:

If you want to take it a step further and start logging data from sensors to a database you might follow along with this article after you get the Mosquitto instance up and running:

Thank you Tim,
Travis Elliott