Mesh network x Router x Coordinator

Video shows a mesh router is needed to relay the signal of sensor from left hand side to right hand side, if there is a thick wall in between.

May I ask,

1. Could any sensor node (End Device) be that mesh router, doing the broadcasting self captured signal and relaying job?

2. How many routers could be deployed in a single mesh network. (From one end node to one gateway. They are separated by walls inside the building)

3. I made a search on the NCD store with keyword ‘router’ but it returns this. ( Shop - store.ncd.io) Only ZigBee Coordinator Long Range Wireless Mesh Modem with USB Interface can be found ( ZigBee Coordinator Long Range Wireless Mesh Modem with USB Interface - store.ncd.io). However this seems like a coordinator but not a router as I don’t need the interface but simply relaying. Could you point me the mesh router product url?

4. For the sensor, it equips with AA batteries so it could run for years. If I somehow need to in crease the sampling interval(decrease the delay time) and installed at remote area, then I have to DIY to change the batteries from AA to other form (saying Lead Acid Battery or Li battery with step up/step down module). Do you think it’s possible or workable? Appreciated if you could help advise.

Thank you.

1 Like
  1. Any Sensor which is not battery powered and is purposely configured not to enter sleep mode can be used as a repeater. It is absolutely required that you instruct NCD when a device will act as a repeater so it can be programmed/configured to work in that way.

2. There is no limit to the number of repeaters. However a transmission may only make up to 8 hops. This is documented in Digi’s documentation on the Digi Mesh Protocol which I highly recommend reviewing.

3. You can use any Modem such as a USB Modem and it will act as a repeater.

4. This is possible however under warranty we cannot provide instructions on how to do so. The sensor requires a 3.3VDC power supply from the batteries supplying power.

1&2. Could we acquire the route information? The repeater(s) that the end node sensor come across with / hop between. If so, we could understand better the effectiveness of deployment of repeater/sensor node .
3. Is this also okay when I connected via USB but not 12V to act as a repeater? Industrial IoT Wireless USB Gateway/Modem Receiver (ncd.io) No setting/configuration is needed?

3b.

• Compatible with All 900HP-S3B Devices
  • Compatible with All 802.15.4 Devices

I am sorry I don’t quite understand what they mean. Is 900 sort of 900MHz so it could only work with the sensor picked wireless communication option which is 900MHz? And how about 802.15.4?

For these two modems, are they both able to work in 2.4GHz? As my country could only allow me to use 2.4GHz.

1&2. You can get route information using the USB modem and Digi’s X-CTU software. I have a video explaining the process here:

1. @Bhaskar does memory serve me correctly that there was an issue powering USB modems solely over USB and not 12VDC or was it the other way around?

3b. You are going to want to purchase this USB modem with 2.4ghz option for the devices you have:

1 Like

This can be powered over USB.

Thanks

@Bhaskar thanks!

Hi Travis. Responding to your reply earlier.

1. Any Sensor which is not battery powered and is purposely configured not to enter sleep mode can be used as a repeater. It is absolutely required that you instruct NCD when a device will act as a repeater so it can be programmed/configured to work in that way.

May I have more information on that? Do you have some instructions on web so I could follow and flash the end device to be able to act as a repeater? [while the device could be still normally collecting data as usual]

I have a case which the end nodes need some repeaters to help relay the messages while the repeaters need to be an end node collecting data and running in battery mode.

Thank you.

Here is how you can disable sleep mode

1. remove the radio from the sensor
  2. plug into a USB modem
  3. open it in xctu
  4. change sleep mode to normal
    bit info about xctu
    https://ncd.io/how-to-upload-profile-in-digmesh-radio/

Thanks

Hi,

All this works beautifully. With disabling sleep mode I can visually see all the hops and connections between the powered repeaters and modem, but I cannot see the path of the battery-only. Do remote sensors that do run only on battery need to be configured to hop off the repeaters instead of attempting to connect with the modem directly or is this done automatically.

Thanks

this is done at the radio level.
radio will find the optimal path to deliver the data to the receiver.

1 Like