Logging a Button Press to IFTTT with a Particle Board

So I am very new to this but after watching the video of the well being remotely monitored by the police/fire department I thought this would be a great application to learn. So here I am trying to figure out how to log an input to the cloud.

I purchased the “1-Channel General Purpose SPDT Relay Shield + 7 GPIO with IoT Interface” with the “IFTTT - Particle Photon WiFi with IFTTT Firmware”

I have the board connected to the particle app and the app connected to IFTTT. But I am stuck on how to wire a button to the board and how to have IFTTT see that input as an option.

If anyone has any wiring examples or walk throughs on how to accomplish this I would be thrilled.

My end goal is to hook up a photoeye to log an event to a google spreadsheet using IFTTT every time its triggered.

There is a wiring diagram under the resources section of the product: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/e/2PACX-1vRuW_Qq8-p2a8GjIsvW5MMXRlupBZxoDnk4j0cSCOBHJtJFMnBbp20IU24V484kih7fgmmk2uP6xTf6/pub?w=1459&h=1224&1554913543

You will connect one wire of the button to GND and one to one of the IO screw terminals outlined in the wiring diagrams.

Awesome, thank you. so the I/O screw terminals are Sink operated inputs?

Yes, closing the circuit to ground will register as a contact closure/Digital IO pulled low. This simply changes the status of the corresponding bit in the get status command which the library notifies the particle cloud of.