Increase wireless transmission distance

Hi,

I have installed a vibration sensor in a small building located about 2km from the main factory building where the receiving antenna is installed. Unfortunately, the signal does not reach the receiver.

Is there a way to boost the signal from the sensor so that the signal can reach the receiver? Some kind of high gain antenna maybe. If so, is there an NCD product that could help me ?

Thank you

Have a nice day

Hi,

There are a couple of options. You could use high gain antennas as you suggested. NCD does not carry these but I would recommend a 13dbM gain Yagi style antenna from a 3rd party supplier. Just make sure the frequency of the antenna matches the frequency of the sensors/gateway you purchased. The antenna connection on the board is RP-SMA.

The second option would be to install a repeater device between the two locations. This USB modem can be powered up between the locations and can forward the signal:

Hi,

Just for comparison, can you please give me the gain of the standard antennas supplied by NCD?

Have a nice day

Hi,

How should an ‘Industrial IoT Wireless USB Gateway/Modem’ be configured to be used as a booster. I guess it should have the same PanID as the main network? Are there any other specific settings that need to be done?

Have a nice day

The gain of the antennas we provide is 2.5 dbM.

No configuration of the USB modem is required. Just power it up and it will act as a repeater.

Thank you,
Travis Elliott

Thank you very much for the information :slight_smile: