Frequency Industrial IoT Wireless Thermocouple Temp Sensor

Hello,
I need to do a proof of concept with NCD Industrial IoT Wireless Thermocouple Temperature sensor. I need the sensor for Europe so if I am right the frequency must be 868 MHz. When I try to purchase the sensor I can´t see any option to choose frequency.

Is the Europe version available?

Hi,

The frequency used is an option under the “Buy Now” tab of the product. You’ll just need to choose the 868 MHz (Europe Only)" option.

Thanks!

The sensor will be inside a heating chamber that normally works at 80 ºC +/- 5 ºC. I want to have traceability of temperature and generate alarms in case of over temperature. To collect data I will use your Industrial to Eth Modem as a gateway out of the chamber connected to my controller running LabVIEW.

1. Is this sensor suitable for this application in terms of temperature range?
  2. Do you see any limitation to develop my own VI with LabVIEW?

Hey,

The range is fine, the thermocouples will go down to -200C and up to 980C. The accuracy of thermocouples in my experience drops at below zero temperatures, but it is still serviceable.

I don’t see any limitation on creating your own VI. It’s basically opening a TCP socket to the Wireless to Ethernet Modem and parsing the data that streams out of it. I’ve put in a request to release the source code for our LabView utility. You may be able to take out the chunks of code that parse the data. It is built for the USB Modem so you’ll need to abstract the transfer protocol for TCP, but they stream fairly similarly from a software perspective.

Thanks!

The temperature node (electronics and probes) will be inside the chamber.

Which is the range temperature of the node? I mean the enclosure containing electronics.
Is it possible to use a diferent type of temperature probes that could fit better the range of 80ºC +/- 5ºC and with better accuracy?

Not out of the box.

You could use one of the pure ADC boards and an aftermarket temperature probe like: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/vishay-bc-components/NTCAIMME3C90686/BC2886-ND/4896923

I can’t recommend a particular sensor since I’m not exactly an expert on temperature sensor, but that one looks like it fits the temperature range you’re looking for and should improve accuracy.

The main down side in doing that is you have to get into EE math. Say you use a 0-10v ADC. The datasheet for that probe show resistances at temperatures so in the parser at the local machine you’d need to convert the raw byte value, convert it into raw voltage (linear equation), and then determine current resistance using OHMs law I=V/R translated to I*V=R, and then compare it to a digital representation of the table on the datasheet for the probe.

Thanks!

What about introducing the sensor (electronics) in the chamber at 80ºC? Is it the normal use or maybe only the probes should be inside the chamber?

I’d definitely only put the probes in there.

The electronics themselves are rated for -40 to +85C, but that’s max rating. Constant exposure to the edge of the max rating will probably decrease the longevity of the devices. We haven’t tested this, but in general its not ideal.

The thermocouple should still be within 1.5C accurate at below zero.