4 2 button fob remotes with Overlay Shield for Particle Photon

I am wondering if it is possible to use 4 2 button fob remotes with the Overlay Shield for Particle Photon. I need to get each button with uniquely so I can move information for 4 teams independently. Is this a possibility to do?

Hi,

Yes, this is possible. We have some example code for the Particle Key Fob Overlay here:

Hello Travis,

I saw this example code but when using the Model: OTX-400-HH-KF# all of them have the same address to pair it to the receiver. If I change the address i can only pair that one fob. Also using the Fob_Alarm code everything comes through as Button Push 2. I appreciate your help with this.

Check the KeyFob.h header file. It has a public variable called recentFobID. This will be the ID of the fob that the button was most recently pressed on. This will allow you to tell which fob sent the button press.

I honestly wrote all of this a very long time ago and cannot remember exactly how everything worked but At the time I wrote it it seemed everything worked as expected. You may want to investigate rewriting the library for your specific use case.

Thanks for the info. Yeah that variable returns a -1 which is the empty code. It looks like the Serial Read isn’t pulling any bytes off the interrupt. Do you know if there is a way to get the data other than the Serial?

You might need to initialize the key fob remote to get it to register a unique ID on the receiver.

Use a paper clip to press the Add button on the back of the key fob remote, a small Blue LED should start flashing. Then press all buttons on the fob remote, then press the Add button on the back again.

Now press the Learn button on the Key Fob Overlay. Press a button on the remote, then press the learn button again. It should output an ID now when you press a button on the remote.

Let me know if that works.

I am able to see the button presses and I know they have separate ID’s now from using the Add button but the Serial.read() always returns -1 to get the id of the Fob being used. I am sure it is somewhere but I am unsure of where it is located and what pulls it.

Sorry I think I got it now. Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,

Awesome. Let us know if you need anything else. As I said that Library might need a little clean up work, it’s been a long time since I put that together.