WiFi Relay Controller unresponsive

Hi Mark,

The module supports WiFi securities WPA/WPA2/WPA3.

It also supports IEEE 802.11B, IEEE 802.11G, IEEE 802.11N. It is 2.4ghz only(no 5ghz support).

Hi @TravisE_NCD_Technica

We have this exact same issue:

"One important thing to keep in mind is that the controller only accepts 1 TCP client socket connection at a time. If for some reason the TCP socket connection is not properly closed then the controller will have no way of knowing that the socket was closed and will assume a socket is still open to it. "

Can you confirm when the firmware update is available? The relay controller is used in a medical environment and this issue is causing serious problems.

Thanks

Ben

Finally got it working right. There was two problems causing it to become unresponsive.
The first had the symptom of locking up and being able to regain communication by either power cycling the controller or the WiFi access point.

This was due to the controller not responding to the group key update in a timely manor so that it would cease communicating to the controller, but the TCP port was still open so I couldnā€™t reconnect to it.

Changed the access point ā€œGroup Key Update Timeoutā€ and the ā€œPairwise Key UpdateTimeoutā€ to 30 seconds and that problem cleared up.

The second symptom was the power cycling the access point did not regain comms., but power cycling the controller did.

For some reason, this was caused by my 0-5vdc output current transformer connected to the A/D of the board.
Not sure why, but I changed it out to a different brand and now that problem went away.

Working good now. Nothing worse than looking for a problem and in fact having two.

1 Like

That is certainly always the toughest problems to solve. Fixing one thing does not correct the issue so you assume what you fixed was not the problem when in fact it was, thereā€™s just another problem as well :man_facepalming:

Hello Travis,
Iā€™m curious, how would I obtain the firmware update that will include a TCP socket timeout and what is the procedure to update my devices?

Still having the controller freezing up after a couple of days.
Any estimate as to when firmware with a TCP socket timeout will be available?

Hi Mark,

After you had said it looked like you fixed the problem I put that timeout feature on the back burner. I will see if I can get that implemented by the end of next week.

Thanks Travis, will be looking forward to it.

Any update on adding a socket timeout?

Hi @mark.mihalic,
I apologize I have not been able to get this completed yet. We have had several development projects in the works. This is still on my list though, I have not forgotten.

Just keeping this on the radarā€¦

Can I get an ETA on this firmware update? Iā€™m just kind off twisting in the wind not knowing if this is going to get resolved. Not knowing is keeping me from determining whether to wait longer for the update or switch to another companies product.

Either the functionality to release the TCP socket on a timeout or even a reset based on loss of Ping response would work.

Thank you

Hi Mark,

I just uploaded a firmware update for the WiFi module. You can update the firmware on your module by following the instructions here:

I forced a 5 second timeout on both TCP Client and TCP Server connections on the WiFi module so if no data is received after 5 seconds the socket will be forcibly closed. In TCP Client mode the module would then attempt a new connection to the server. In TCP Server mode the module would start waiting for new connections from clients.

Let me know how this works for you. I do not have a good setup to test currently so let me know if it works or not.

Thank you,
Travis

Thanks Travis,
I flashed the updated firmware to the WiFi module today. Five seconds should be fine.
Iā€™ll give it a while before I report back, but Iā€™d expect that this should take care of the problem.

Mark

Thanks again Travis, it looks like the firmware update is working fine.
I havenā€™t had any problems since I updated Dec. 21st.

Have a good New Year,
Mark