Using NCD Products with Ignition Scada

I’m saying I would rather use Modbus to import the sensor data into my SCADA program than just TCP in the future. I guess I’m asking if I buy the ethernet gateway, can it be updated to output Modbus protocol instead of buying more hardware. I’m assuming that the protocol between sensor and gateway would remain the same. thanks

The Wireless Gateway is specifically a Xbee (Wireless) to Ethernet Gateway. What you are referring to would probably be a separate product. However, @Bhaskar would be in a better a position to comment on it.

1 Like

Gotcha, I guess for Modbus output I could use the same sensors but would have to have a different gateway to convert and output the data packets as Modbus protocol. So if I’m thinking about this correctly, nothing would really change regarding the sensors, just the gateway unit.

Yes you got it right.

@ryan, any chance I could get a wireless Modbus gateway to try? I know it isn’t released yet, but I could give some valuable feedback regarding its use with Scada packages.

I’m sure we can work something out, I will tag @Bhaskar on this, he is in charge of modbus development. Bhaskar is currently traveling overseas and will be back with us around March 9th, we will definitely need his help to get you a modbus solution, this product has not made it through our regular production channels yet.

Okay, thanks Ryan. I will check back in then.

@ryan @Bhaskar Just checking in on getting a Modbus gateway to try with a couple of enterprise pressure sensors to monitor cnc vacuum hold down. Thanks

Bhaskar has not yet returned to work, we are expecting him back this weekend. I know he will be eager to help you on this, please check back with us early next week.
Thanks,
Ryan

1 Like

I also have need for connection to SCADA via industrial protocol (OT not IT)
Modbus is most common and will work but DNP3 is preferable for its security.

Your wireless vibration and temperature looks promising but my job is machine maintenance not programming.

I would like to get in touch with @Bhaskar.
Thank you
Vince

I’m also interested in a very basic asset tracking setup. For example, I have 3 plants where I could have 3 wireless gateways. Then I could tell where an asset is based on which wireless gateway the sensor is connected to. I don’t really need to know specifics other than which plant it is at, and if the sensor is “offline” then it is inferred to be in transit. Got anything along those lines?

Yes, we have asset trackers that send out a notification when they are moved. We also have a few that send data out periodically, which would be ideal for the application you described. Are you looking for a gateway (for connection to a cloud platform) or a modem (for connection to a local computer)? We have both available.
Thanks,
Ryan

1 Like

I will see what I can work out with @Bhaskar with the MODBUS gateway and vacuum pressure sensors. If that goes well, I will tack this on. Just wanted to know if you had something for that. Every sensor I want would ideally communicate to a Modbus gateway which is then passing that info to my scada. Appreciate it,
Daniel

I spoke with Bhaskar about using Modbus for sensor data. The issue that we face is that Modbus is a query protocol and our sensors are spontaneous. The data from the sensor needs to be held in a buffer somewhere so it can be queried by Modbus. This gets very complicated when several sensors are filling up a buffer with random lengths. I’ll pick Bhaskar up from the airport on Tuesday and we will discuss this in detail, I’m sure he will have some ideas…

I understand. Keep in mind that I wanted Modbus because I have used it before with success. I have other protocols available to me to use. DNP3 is one, and I do have a tcp/udp driver for my scada as well. I just don’t want to buy the TCP wireless gateway and it not work due to parsing requirements. If I knew I could make it work, I would use the TCP one that is currently available. When you guys are ready, shoot me any suggestions/ideas. Thanks Ryan.

EDIT: The TCP driver that I have in Ignition is designed for UTF-8, so any data coming in over 7 bits is getting altered. Ignition users suggested I use a socket level script in Ignition to receive the data, but that is over my head at this point.

Hi Daniel,
I’m not sure if this helps or not, but our modems provide Raw data that must be parsed.
Our Gateways convert incoming sensor data into JSON strings with human-readable values, then post to popular cloud platforms.
With regard to Modbus, you will need to parse any sensor data that arrives, as sensors provide much more than just payload. They also provide a unique serial number, battery level, sensor type, Node ID, in addition to sensor readings. If a modbus converter could be created, it would require parsing.
If you want to eliminate parsing, a MQTT server should be used, then we can parse everything for you at the hardware level and use a gateway. I just don’t see any way Modbus can be used without parsing. I will talk this over with Bhaskar though.
Thanks,
Ryan

I’m not sure which direction I need to go. I should be able to parse the data if I can get it into Ignition. I would prefer not to parse it, but I also want the simplest solution. MQTT may be an option, but I’m not sure yet. I wasn’t aware of the innerworkings of Modbus, I just know that I have used it to connect to PLCs with success. I’m not set on using Modbus, I’m open to any other method. Thanks Ryan!

I spoke to Bhaskar about this today, MQTT really looks like the best option, as the software conversion between sensors and Modbus would be very complex, particularly when several sensors are sending data. I will have @Bhaskar respond to you on this, he is back in town now. Thank you for your patience.
Ryan

Sounds good, I think it will be worth it to try the MQTT route. thanks!

Any update on the MQTT?