PR33-27 Transmitter, 24V loop? Isolated power supplies for each channel?

Hi All,

Bit of a newbie here when it comes to the 4-20mA sensor standard.

First, on the product page for the PR33-27 I see some documentation available for the onboard DAC and the loop transmitter (datasheets), and there are some pictorials under “drawings” but I really don’t see a user manual or datasheet for the actual transmitter board? What is the max voltage I can use in my current loop? What do the headers on the board do for “gain” and for “address” ? Maybe I am just missing where on the website this sort of thing is located.

Now, onto actually using this thing… what I’m trying to achieve is the following…

I have a portable hydraulic pump and controller that I would like to remotely monitor. Simple things like current sensing for the pump and tank levels. I have a I/O modem that runs off our local radio network that uses 4-20mA analog inputs. I would be working with our communications department to get the modem tracking data using Modbus. Conveniently, the pump, pump controller, and I/O modem all run off of 24V and the pump controller enclosure has a nice 24VDC supply inside… so naturally I will be stuffing all of these parts into the pump enclosure together.

I’ve had some experience programming Arduino modules in the past and I figured it would be easiest if I use some 0-5VDC sensors to do the current sensing and tank level readings, feed that into the Arduino Nano and use the PR33-27 to handle the 4-20mA output that my modem requires.

I see on the “drawings” tab that it shows two sensors with a power supply for each one in the loop of the sensor. It does not show any voltage limits for this loop. The data sheet for the XTR115 shows 7.5V-36V… should I just assume this is the case for the PR33-27 board? Also, if I am using two of the four outputs on the board, it shows separate power supplies for each channel… so I cannot just wire each of the loops to the 24V power supply that is powering my pump/controller/modem? I would need to purchase an individual supply for each channel? Would this be considered isolated supplies? Any guidance as to what I’m looking for to achieve this, or any documentation/examples online on how this looks when wired? Are there some common 12 or 24V supplies that have 2+ isolated outputs if this is what I need?

Additionally, for my sensor input to the Arduino Nano, the adapter pretty much blocks access to all of the inboard female headers that I could have potentially plugged into. I suppose I could rig something up and push some wires into place, strain relief them and then insert the adapter on top… or am I stuck trying to desolder the header pins on the arduino nano so I can put female headers on top so I can piggy back sensors onto it?

Sorry for the long post, hopefully someone can help out! Thanks!

Hi,
The power supply range we recommend is 9-32VDC.
Yes, you got it right You will needs isolated power supplies for each channel. Two channel can not share same power supply.

You could solder wires directly on the nano pins. We tried to make the nano adapter with double row pins but it was impossible to manufacture.

The alternative is
this nano shield

and this adapter

Thanks

Thanks for the reply… so something like this could take care of my loop power supply needs, correct?

Thank you,

Will you be using 4 of these ?

You will need isolated power for each channel.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/murata-power-solutions-inc/MGJ6Q05P24MC-R7/811-3430-1-ND/7606497
The max input voltage for this one is 9V. if you power supply is a 24V supply. will need to step down to 7-9V.

The one I linked to has two separate outputs? Since I only need to use two channels on the PR33-27, I figured I only needed two power supply loops. I figured these two channels would do the trick?

sorry didnt know it has two power supplies. yes, if it has two power supplies than it will work.