Power On issue R15RS

I have product R15RS, a RS232 driven SPDT relay controller. I am unable to get it to connect with the base station. Upon further inspection I noticed the LED is not illuminated at any point in the process. I disconnect the serial connector and relay, plug in the power supply and get no light. I have tried every other configuration and had the same results. I just received this controller and have not gotten it to work yet.

What steps should I take to troubleshoot the power issue? Is it possible a brand new controller is bad?

Thank you.

Hi Jeff,

Its unlikely that the board is damaged from us. That series in particular is very reliable and sturdy.

What are the specs for the power supply that you’re using to power the board?

Are you using the provided Serial Cable?

Is there a USB adapter on the communication line and if so was it provided by us?

Thank you for the reply.

I am using the 12 V 1.25 A power supply from you. It’s the PWR12 item number.

The serial cable is a known good one we had on hand.

I tested and there is 12 VDC coming into the card. Is the light supposed to come on if there is power applied or is it an indicator light for RX or TX?

I am using a USB to RS232 adapter. It’s the NI USB-232/4. It is configured and used for other functions so I know it is working.

Its difficult for us to provide support with an unsupported adapter on the communication line. Our officially supported adapter is available at: https://store.ncd.io/product/chipi-x-usb-to-rs-232-serial-adapter-the-very-best/

That particular board does not have a power indicator. The light will indicate the current state of the relay, if its on then the relay is in its NO position.

I would bet that its an incompatibility between our the R15RS and the adapter.

Jacob,

I am unable to use that adapter as our program is designed specifically to use the 4 way splitter. I am able to set the USB adapter to simulate any port settings I might need to change. Is there a port this controller is set up to as a default? (ie. is it set to respond only when installed to COM1)

As I have previously said, I am very new to this type of work. I am unfortunately stuck using what I have to make this project work.

There was also no information on the product page indicating potential issues if your specific adapter is not used.

There is not a specific port it must use.

The configuration settings should be:
Baudrate: 9600
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity: none
Flow Control: none

Its possible that this may not be a good fit for this application. If the above settings do not show any progress you can submit an RMA at: https://ncd.io/contact-us/product-returns/

Jacob,

I installed the controller on a PC with a native COM port. I still can not connect via the base station. What troubleshooting steps should I take before working the process to return as faulty?

That’s about as far as we can go with troubleshooting remotely.

I would recommend submitting an RMA: https://ncd.io/contact-us/product-returns/