Connecting 3 Channel Thermocouple to Losant Gateway

Hi - I currently have a Losant gateway with one thermocouple connected. I wanted to add a 3 channel thermocouple to the same gateway.

I was able to boot up labview and see the readings from the 3 channel thermocouple. However, the gateway does not recognize the 3 channel thermocouple. Do I need to adjust a configuration on the thermocouple?

Thanks,
Bao

Hi Bao,

The 3 channel thermocouple was released after the Losant gateway so it does not currently support that sensor. I’ll get the firmware re-built for the Losant Gateway to accept the 3 channel ThermoCouple and then provide instructions to update your gateway firmware.

Hi Travis - that makes sense. Thanks doing this, and for your quick response.

Hi Travis - Do you know when you’ll be able to get to this?

Hi Bao,

Sorry for the delay. Follow instructions here to update firmware on your Losant Gateway:

Thanks for sending that over. How do I connect to the Losant Gateway? Do I have to remove the ESP32 out of the case and connect to it?

Hi Bao,

Yes, you will need to remove the board from the enclosure so you can connect to the USB micro connection on it. It’s generally easiest to just remove the screws and pull the whole thing out of the enclosure than to pull the ESP32 out of the gateway board.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll give it a try.

I was able to flash the gateway, but I started getting this error:

[{
	"problem": "Failed to fetch device list",
	"message": {
		"message": "Failed to parse JSON",
		"err": {
			"line": 38,
			"column": 44,
			"sourceURL": "http://captive.apple.com/main.js"
		},
		"data": {
			"discovered_devices": {
				"00:13:A2:00:41:A8:44:01": {
					"transmission_count": 241,
					"battery_level": "99%",
					"node_id": 1,
					"rssi": "100%",
					"Channel 1": 19,
					"Channel 2": 18.93,
					"Channel 3": 16.37,
					"mac": "00:13:A2:00:41:A8:44:01"
				}
			},
			"configured_devices": {}
		}
	}
}, {
		},
					"transmission_count": 243,
					"Channel 2": 18.81,
					"Channel 3": 15.68,
				}
			},
		}
	}
}, {
		},
					"transmission_count": 244,
					"Channel 3": 16.31,
				}
			},
		}
	}
}, {
		},
					"transmission_count": 245,
					"Channel 3": 15.12,
				}
			},
		}
	}
}, {
		},
					"transmission_count": 247,
					"Channel 1": 18.93,
					"Channel 3": 15.12,
				}
			},
		}
	}
}]

Hey Bao,
I just wanted to jump in on this thread and let you know that Travis has been out sick the past couple of days, so there may be some delays. Hope you are doing well! Please say hello to our friends at Losant for me if you get a chance!
Ryan

Hey Ryan - Good to hear from you! Sorry to hear that Travis is sick and thanks for the update.

Things have been good here at Losant and in the restaurant. Excited to get this 3 Channel Thermocouple reading our stockpots. I passed your message to the team over Slack, and the team at Losant says hi too! Hope all is well.

Hi Bao,

Sorry for the delayed response. As Ryan mentioned I’ve been out sick the past couple of days.

It looks like you are getting this error from the devices page on the Gateway. However if you just enter your Losant account credentials on the main config page and save the settings you should get the data you’re looking for on the cloud side. I did not add handling for all the new sensors to the devices page but that’s really just there for diagnostic purposes anyway. Are you getting data on the cloud side from the sensor?

Hi Travis - Hope you are feeling better. No, I’m not getting any data on the cloud side. When I power up the 3 Channel Thermocouple, the gateway crashes. The green light on the gateway turns to white and it’s disconnected from Losant. When I turn off the 3 Channel Thermocouple, it goes back to green and reconnects.

Hi Bao,

What if you plug in one of your older sensors? Do you see the same result or is this limited to the 3 channel thermocouple?

Currently, I have the one channel thermocouple on, and it’s been working fine. It only crashes when the 3 channel one is on.

Do you want me to turn off the one channel and test with just the 3 channel?

No Bao, that’s OK. I’ll get one of those 3 channel thermocouples here at my desk and do some testing to see what could be causing that issue.

1 Like

Hi Bao,

I found the problem. The Gateway was trying to create the 3 channel thermocouple device on Losant but the requests to create the device were failing because it was using device attribute fields that contains spaces(Channel 1, Channel 2, Channel 3). I replaced those spaces with _ and everything appears to be working correctly now.

I updated the firmware files on our server, please update the firmware on your Losant Gateway again and let me know if you have any trouble.

Thank you Bao,
Travis Elliott

Hi Travis,

I reflashed the firmware by running ncd_flasher.py again. The gateway is still disconnecting from Losant when I power up the 3 channel thermocouple. However, this time, the green light on the gateway is still staying green. When I turn off the 3 channel thermocouple, the gateway reconnects to Losant.

After it reconnected, the gateway light started flashing red for a bit.

Sorry about that Bao, looks like I didn’t get the firmware files properly updated on the server somehow. Please try flashing the gateway one more time. Should work now.