Amazon AWS Thing

Trying to follow up steps how to connect AWS with Gateway and I’m not getting forward with step 15 where I suppose to see the Things. Gateway has green Led on as explained on the step 13 settings are saved and hardware is rebooted.
Only option I have on Things page is “Register Thing”. Is that what I need to do?

Markku

Hi Markku,

I have not heard of this error before with all the AWS gateways we have sold so far. If the Green LED is on then that indicates the AWS Gateway is successfully connected to your AWS IoT Core account. This could not happen if it did not successfully provision itself and if that is the case then it should be listed under AWS IoT Core/manage/things

If that is the case, what should I do. I was strictly following your step by step instructions and this is the end result.

Anything else I can do to get it working?

Hi,

Are you sure you setup the IAM credentials correctly? Did you set the policy to all actions? This has not been reported by any other users. I believe it must be something to do with your AWS Account. You might try manually provisioning a new thing and see if that setup works.

Travis,

Would that be smart to get AWS service plans to support this testing and problems we are having. Would you recommend the developer’s plan?

Travis,

How can I reset the Gateway to factory settings , so I can start from the beginning?

Markku

To factory reset the gateway:

1. Disconnect power.
  2. Press and hold the CFG button
  3. While holding the CFG button reconnect power
  4. Once the on board LED turns Blue release the CFG button
  5. Wait for the LED to begin flashing blue
  6. Press and hold the CFG button until the LED stops flashing blue(off or solid blue) then release the CFG button.
  7. The Gateway will reboot and will be in factory default settings.

Travis,

Steps 5 and 6 are so fast that is hard to keep track of the steps, so I was wondering when LED is flashing blue about 1Hz that means it is in factory settings.

Travis,

I’m again stuck with step 15 on instructions and there is no “Things” and green LED is on. What do you mean by saying" name of the device(Thing) in the panel". So what is the panel? Where are you getting the B3E62D***** in the sample?
I’m enclosing the screenshot of my process with AWS

When the gateway is able to properly provision itself it will appear in the list like the attached photo.

Thinking on this further I’m betting your AWS Gateway is connected to a different region. I see you are currently on the Ohio region from your screenshot. I would change that region and see if the Gateway shows up somewhere else. This region is set during the configuration of the AWS Gateway in a drop down menu.

Travis,

Thanks, that worked. I changed the region to SE Virginia and it popped up the Thing. I’ll let you know if I need any additional help.

Markku

Great! That can be changed in the setup of the AWS Gateway if you need to move it to a different region.