4-20ma Current Loop 2-channel Mini Module - Can an External Supply for Sensor be Used?

Hi,
New here! I just received my module last night, and after poking around here on the forums, I’m wondering if maybe I ordered the wrong module for a project I’m working on.

I ordered SKU: PR33-8, and the intent is to use it with an Omega PX119 series pressure transducer, which has a supply voltage range of 8-32VDC. It looks like the module I ordered only supplies 5VDC, and based on a few posts I’ve read doesn’t look like I can loop in an external supply to the sensor to give it the juice it needs.

I’d wager I actually need SKU: PR33-15 instead for my project (which might actually work out better after talking to one of the engineers at work today).

The project goal is to convert the analog gauges for our gas bottles (and maybe even the regulated line pressure gauges as well) to digital transducers, then pipe that through an Arduino (or maybe some other microcontroller) to a local digital display, as well as a SQL database where web apps can pull the data.

Any insight/guidance/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Justin

Hi Justin,
PR33-8 is for active 4-20mA 2 wire device. It provides power over 4-20mA lines.

If the Omega sensor required external power then you will need a passive 4-20mA receiver like PR33-15.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Hi Bhaskar,
Thanks for the reply! I guess by the very nature of the sensor, the only way to get the minimum operating voltage would be to use an external supply since Artduino outputs are capped at 5V. It’s been a while since I’ve really played with Arduinos, so it didn’t even occur to me at the time I placed my order…lol. Looks like I’ll be putting in an order for a PR33-15 then. Thanks again!